Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Proposal

Late one night, I was laying in bed pondering my music taste, when I suddenly felt a surge of inspiration to work with my friend, Jordan Thompson, on a purely electronic album. The two of us would work alone on the album from start to finish until it was released.

I hoped the album would focus on the unique timbres of electronic music without sacrificing musical transparency. I didn't want to get too invested in adding layer after layer, because it's easy to fall into that rut. I also wanted the album to focus on improving our lyric writing, improving our craft at songwriting, and moving in a different direction from where our band Amoranth currently stands.

Kindlyn is not that album.

...But it was supposed to be. It's interesting how rapidly new ideas can change and develop, especially when you bounce them off of someone else.

The original idea was mentioned in passing to Luke Jeffrey, who became interested right away. To be honest, my lyric writing skills leave a lot to be desired. But Luke has been interested in reading, writing, and stories for a long time. He was a natural fit, and I asked him if he would like to join in on the project. He would.

I began thinking about how I could expand the original idea to include others. There could be music videos, and artwork for each individual track. I recruited a talented artist named Jessie Rogers, but the film idea didn't pan out (for the time being).

Before I even had everyone in place, I opened a new a Google document and began typing out all of my thoughts to send to everyone who might potentially be involved.

You can view the original document here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vg1-zm3Na2SS5c7lSZRRpd0VvFbXpDVL7HoCoSV9UYA/edit

Kindlyn is the product of the original spurt of inspiration I had, but so many ideas have sprung up since then. Especially since the original topic proposal was sent out. And so far, it seems the changes are for the better. But what has changed since the document? More on that in the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment